Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Less is MORE!


L-R: Orange Cream-filled Rosette Cream Puff, Pineapple Opera Slice, Chocolate Marble Cheesecake, Mandarin Orange Cheesecake, Chocolate Brownies, Berry & Malibu Tiramisu.

I am just about to tell you how less-equipped we are in the pastry kitchen having only about 50% of the basic necessities. I did order a few other things to make life easier for my chefs (and myself included) but it is still a long way to go before the kitchen can truly meet luxury hotel production standards. I remain positive that the kitchen will slowly gain more edge as the years go by.

What is truly fascinating is how the mind can condition itself and push someone's boundaries to deliver 100% output.

During the first quarter of 2008, I have endeavored into upgrading our buffet dessert standards despite the limitations. If I keep complaining about how ill-equipped we are - broken oven, no rubber spatulas, etcetera, etcetera - I would just be resisting progress. Hence, I have re-created our desserts, together with my team, and produced more interesting products.

It comes with a realization that having less will make you appreciate better when you have more in life. It will also make you different from anyone else because you are put into a very unique situation and, thus, invokes a greater level of creativity.

The collection above may not be the best but those are well-polished, well-thought of and well-regarded.

A toast to WILL POWER, CREATIVITY & PASSION!

No comments: