Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Ginger Chocolate Fondant



Chocolate fondant also goes by many names: Lava Cake, Orgasm Cake and Chocolate Surprise Cake.

This is my most favorite chocolate recipe (and I carry the recipe with me in my pocket all the time). It is very simple to prepare and requires very little time and a few ingredients.

When I was in the Burj Al Arab, we serve it with Tonka Bean Ice Cream. Tonka bean ice cream has a hint of vanilla and a slight burnt caramel taste. It blends well with the full bodied flavor of the chocolate fondant.

For my new creation, I added finely chopped crystallized ginger. I also prepared orange and pawpaw coulis that proved to be a very good combination. Pawpaw is hard to complement with any desserts because of its lingering and satiating flavor. I acidified the coulis by adding in orange zest and orange juice. The result was spectacular!

On the side is a quenelle of vanilla ice cream allowing all the flavors to come together like a peaceful marriage.

Here is the recipe of my favorite Chocolate Fondant:

500 g Dark Couverture Chocolate, chopped
500 g Butter, unsalted, softened
--------------------------------
500 g Eggs
200 g Egg Yolks
250 g Caster Sugar
--------------------------------
100 g Cake Flour

Melt the chocolate and butter and mix until smooth.

Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and sugar together until smooth and well-blended.

Slowly pour in the chocolate mixture. Blend until smooth.

Sift in the flour and continue mixing until smooth.

Allow to set in the chiller for at least four hours.

Bake at 190 Celsius for 12-15 minutes or until the top is set. Ensure that the center is not fully baked (reason for baking it at a high temperature over a short period of time).

No comments: